Show Notes: Episode 124
Today on the First 40 Miles, If you’re planning your first overnight backpacking trip, we’ll talk about a few things that might surprise you. Next on our SUMMIT Gear Review an all-American pair of socks from a company who set out to create the best sock ever. Then, this week’s hack will get you outside, then inside, then back outside again! And we’ll wrap up with a little trail wisdom from Mr. Frost.
- What happens on an overnighter:
- Pick a backpacking trail close by…about 90 minutes or less from home
- Choose a short trip: 2-3 miles
- Fresh food (not as much emphasis on food weight)
- Don’t’ get sloppy with your 10 essentials—always bring what you will need if things go south
- Note: Things will take longer, things will go awry, be prepared to be flexible
Top 5 Things That Might Surprise You About Your First Overnight Backpacking Trip
- Nocturnal Animals
- Dropping leaves
- You’ll notice these all a lot more at night
The amount of trash you produce
- Because you’re holding on to every piece of trash, it starts to accumulate faster than you imagined
How long a mile is
- And you may wonder why you carried something all the way into the woods that you never used
How rejuvitating/thrilling/peaceful/cleansing/it all is
- It’s like hitting the reset button on life. And it’s so different from car camping…
How long it takes to recover afterward
- And by recover, I mean unpack, clean up, put away, sleep…
- Also the physical…you might be a little bit sore.
- Backpacking is interesting because you drain and recharge at the same time
SUMMIT Gear Review: Fits Socks Light Hiker (Crew)
- 65% Merino Wool
- 27% Nylon
- 6% Polyester
- 2% Lycra
- The blend helps preserve the shape and durability of the sock
- Cushioned footbed
- Extra cushioning in the heel, toe and the arch.
- Reinforced in the heel and toe
- The patented Full Contact Fit perfectly molds to the shape of your foot
- The Fits Light Hiker Crew socks have flat seams, no itch wool, they’re flame resistant, breathable, moisture wicking and quick drying,
- They’re also odor resistant + antimicrobial
- Unisex socks (they do have some women’s patterns, but the sizing in unisex) Small to XXL
- Weighs: 10.1 ounces
- Crew height rises just below the calf
- Sizing: unisex
- Washable wool
- Because it’s wool, think of it as three socks in one. Three days of wear before washing–really
- This sock is their most popular hiking sock style
- The Light Hiker, is cushioned under foot to take the pounding of an all day hike while managing all the moisture you can throw at it.
- Reinforced, so more durable in the places you need it to be durable
- Stays snug even when it has been worn for several days, maintains it’s shape
- Stink-free merino wool
- Fits around your foot: This is probably the closest thing you can get to a custom sock.
Backpack Hack of the Week: Backpacker Magazine Get out More Tour
- 75-minute seminar full of trail tested tips, regional trip advice and outdoor gear.
- Randy Propster travels across the country, presents at 45 outdoor retailers, hosts 5 on-the-trail adventures and attends 5 outdoor festivals April through October!
- Looks like it’s kicking off in Austin, TX, then headed to Arizona, California, back to Arizona, then Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Washington State and on!
- They will be in Rhode Island on July 19th
- They will not be in Delaware or Oregon…
“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.”