Show Notes: Episode 100
Today on the First 40 Miles, this is episode 100! And we have a shocking revelation: this is not a backpacking podcast—and we’ll tell you why in our top 5 list today. We’ll also have a fun announcement that will put our First 40 Milers and their stories on center stage. For today’s Backpack Hack of the Week, a simple no cook dinner that packs in flavor, nutritional density, and over 1000 calories.
- Episode 100! What we’ve loved so far about this podcast
- Hearing people’s stories
- New hand lettered T shirt announcement!
Top 5 Things The First 40 Miles is Really About
- On a backpacking trip, it’s your job to be 100% prepared. You bring all the tools and supplies you need.
- “Everything transfers”
- If you can learn self-sufficiency in one area of your life, it will spill over into other areas of your life.
- This is a podcast about making priorities
- Prioritizing time outside and time with those you love
Finding the Divine in Nature
- God created this world and everything in it so that when we see those things they remind us of how much he loves us
- All the principles of design are found in nature
- Balance, emphasis, movement, pattern, repetition, proportion, rhythm , variety, unity.
- It’s clear that this world was not only created and organized, but divinely designed as well.
- Backpacking is one of the most creative things you can do.
- Not only does it spur creative ideas, but it also forces you to think creatively.
Finding Your Own Path
- Everyone approaches the outdoors with their own expectations and their own way
- Not everything that we talk about on The First 40 Miles will resonate with every listener
- That’s part of the great thing about backpacking! You create your own story! You create your own journey! You get out of it what you want to get out of it!
- We’re simply here to encourage you along your own path and share our experiences
Announcement about TheFirst40Miles.com/story
- We are collecting stories of your most recent backpacking trip and why it was memorable. To share your story, go to
- Two stories from friends at the Outdoor Retailer show
Backpack Hack of the Week™: Best Dinner Yet
1 cup bulgar
1 can lightly smoked sardines in oil (do not drain!)
1 cup water
4 ounce block hard cheese (asiago, cheddar, pecorino Romano)
1 cup water
Add water to bulgar and wait 90 minutes for bulgar to rehydrate. Add in other ingredients.
About 1,069 calories
“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.”
-Frank A. Clark