Today on The First 40 Miles, the Top 5 way to kick the stories and the one-upping into high gear around the campfire. Then on the SUMMIT Gear Review, we’ll share a multi-use bear canister that may help you cook dinner. On The Backpack Hack of the Week, we’ll show you how to carry oil in a way that is 99.99% leak-proof. An we’ll wrap up the show with a little trail wisdom from our good friend, science fiction writer Frank Herbert.
Show Notes: Episode 030
- The Farmer and the Cowman
- The trail is sacred space. Most people who use the trail agree on that. It a place where you can leave the cares of the world, and spend some time in recreation, reflection, renewal, or retreat.
- However there have been news reports of hikers not getting along with other trail users, such as bikers or equestrians.
- Treat others the way you would want to be treated, even if they don’t treat you kindly or respectfully. Treat everyone as if they’re your friend.
- If you have problems, concerns or comments about trail use, take it to the ranger, take it to an open forum, but don’t take it out on the folks you share the trail with.
- Keep it classy
Top 5 Campfire Story Starters
- The Best/Worst Meal I Ever Had…
- Wild Encounters
- Trail Trauma
- Pre-trip Disaster
- Anything odd that you packed is guaranteed to start a story
SUMMIT Gear Review™: Lighter1 Bear Canister “Li’l Sami” (Small)
- Clear light blue polycarbonate
- Lid of the canister (pan) made of anodized aluminum
- Internal support bar (which is also the pan handle)
- Lid for the pan…not necessary
- LIGHTER1 has been approved by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) for use in the National Parks. It has been individually approved by Yosemite, Denali, Sequoia, Kings Canyon (SEKI), Glacier, and Rocky Mt. National Park.
- Doesn’t need to be suspended from a tree.
- 1 lb 5 oz (for just polycarbonate canister alone)
- Total: 1 lb 14 oz with canister lid and support bar and pan lid (however 2 oz pan lid isn’t necessary)
- 9”tall x 7” wide
- 300 cubic inches (5 liters)
- Perfect size for a 1 day 3 person trek or 3 day 1 person trek (shoulder season, not winter)
- Keep away from water sources where a bear could knock it in
- Rinse with soapy warm water
- $95 for the Lighter1 Lil Sami
- $140 for Lighter1 Lil Sami and Big Daddy (one lid and support bar)
- Hack: fitted lid notch so lid won’t slide off
- Popcorn on trail
- We used it for our family of six to hold one days’ worth of food
- The Lighter1 Li’l Sami canister fit in my pack perfectly
Backpack Hack of the Week™: Leak-Proof Bottle for Liquids
Mio Water Enhancer
Use the empty Mio bottles for liquids soy sauce, oil, fish sauce…
Warning: Pick a flavor that won’t bother you…because the scent will not wash out!
“Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.”