Show Notes: Episode 014
What’s the view like out of a motel room window? We bet any tent view can beat that! Next, if today’s Top 5 list doesn’t work, then maybe some well-placed duct tape over the mouth will. The SUMMIT™ Gear Review will review The Weather-Proof Paper that Wasn’t. The Backpack Hack of the Week™ will show you a simple solution that will keep your your muddy shoes from deteriorating your valuable gear. And we’ll wrap up the show with a little Trail Wisdom from a well-known doctor.
- “You Pay For Good Gear, You Pay For Bad Gear”
- Take that mind set when you’re buying the big three: sleeping bag, tent and pack
- You may be able to find a cheap pack or a sleeping bag at a big box store, but you’re going to pay for that bad gear when it fails prematurely
- Story of Mom and clothing purchases
Top 5 Reasons to Stop Complaining On The Trail
- Attitude Affects Everything
- Facial expressions, thoughts, words
- It affects the way your feet feel, the way your food tastes, the way you interact with others, and the way others interact with you.
- Complaining Won’t Change Anything
- You’ll miss the beauty if you’re moaning
- Story of contact lens and boiling water
- It’ll Save Your Energy
- You need to put your energy into thinking creatively on how to solve or deal with the current situation
- You’ll Find More Humor
- Wool shirt and cougar attack
- You’ll Find More Blessings
If you complain about the high winds, you may forget to be thankful for no mosquitoes.
SUMMIT™ Gear Review: JASE All-Weather Paper
Plastic waterproof cover.
Light green paper
Had solid horizontal lines, like a journal, but then it also had vertical dashed lines like graph paper
Claimed “Weatherproof” however our experience proved different
3x5x 1/4 inch thick
Do not get wet
$11 for 5 pack, however the product didn’t work
“You had one job, man…”
This is why shake downs and trail testing are so important
Will try the Rite in the Rain paper and give a follow-up review
Backpack Hack of the Week™: Shower Caps for Muddy Shoes
- Shower Caps for Muddy Shoes!
- Reusable, washable, free from most hotels if you ask—or from the dollar store
- Keeps your gear from getting roughed up my gritty sand
- And they only cover the bottom of the shoe, which means the rest can dry out
”You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So… get on your way.”